misfit monday: when a find meets a design

I was in JoAnn’s the other day buying additional fabric for the back of my quilt, I browsed the fabric section and found this amazing blue wool and this gorgeous gold-orange lining. UH, PERFECT. For what? This!!

I have a pattern that is fairly close to this, and in order to not chance things with a rather expensive wool (though it was 50% off thanks to an awesome coupon) I’m going to stick to the pattern. The fabric is 100% wool, and as close to Tardis blue as I’ve ever been able to find. I mean, I knew it was perfect the moment I saw it, and I’ve been eying this other potential fabric from Mood that I thought was close. Here’s the wool and lining. (the photo makes them just a hint lighter than reality) Perfect perfect perfect!!

I do plan, however, to paint some hexagonal patterns inside on the lining. It’s like a little secret. You have no idea how much I love those little secrets in fashion, those little details that take time to notice but then you’re like that’s just genius.

Now, the pattern is weird and calculates yardage in the oddest way imaginable, so what my mom and I did was to get 2 yards of 60″ wool (it was actually 57″ because I think it was preshrunk… you have to shrink wool before working with it, and you can just hover an iron about n inch above it and steam it. When I did this, the fabric stayed the same, so I think it was already shrunken.) and then we had to redo the layout of pattern pieces. I’m the one with great spacial relations, but my mom’s the one who knows the sewing thing, so I needed her help to make sure that I wasn’t placing the pieces the wrong way. If you notice, every pattern piece has an arrow on it, and every arrow has to go the same way–vertical. Some of the open spaces you see are because I have to cut 2 of one of the smaller pieces so I’ve left space for that.

That is all to say, if you want to make it, now you know. I’ll do a full debrief on the pattern and sewing after I’ve completed it.

I found one of those circle cutter things, and suddenly I know why designers and people who do a lot of sewing use those. So much faster, and straight, clean lines. Awesome.

I’m really excited to make this!

Thing 2: The front of my quilt is done!! I’ve worked on and off on this for a while now, from cutting up tshirts back in… late june–not sure–to finally getting around to sewing the thing a few weeks back. Now I have to add the edging and sew it onto the back and then put the batting in it and then my grandma offered to take me to this shop she knows around here that machine quilts things.

It’s not perfectly rectangular. One side is a little longer than the other. Oops. But for my first quilt, and making everything up as I went with no real idea of what I was doing, I’d say that this is pretty good. Plus it looks cool.

Thing 3: I’m not 100% happy with the sketchbook I made, but I bet if I made another one it’d be perfect. You live and you learn. I’m about 95% happy with it. That’s pretty good.

Thing 4: Here’s a drawing I did in about 20ish minutes yesterday of my little brother while in church. He was rather thrilled that I was drawing him, and every once in a while would move so he could look at it, then return to his original position so I could keep going. It looks exactly like him.

That is all.


handmade is a real thing

As I mentioned in my monday update, I found this tutorial online for how to hand-bind your own books. I had these two sketchbooks the same size (sketchpads actually) that were sort of just awkward for me, and I didn’t like them, so upon seeing this, I immediately thought of them and the fact that maybe I could actually use them now. So I immediately began working on this project, eager to have something like my own hand-bound book, especially since, as I also mentioned on monday, my moleskin is almost full.

It started with getting all the paper out of the sketchpads and sorting it into sets of 5 sheets, which I would fold in half. Then I had to mark each set of 5 for where I would punch holes. I improvised and used a finishing nail to punch those itty bitty holes in 13 sets of paper, which isĀ  pain in the butt, however it worked out fine.

From there I took a needle and thread and went through all the holes up and down, which was also annoying. Lots of glue was involved after this, as well as borrowing my dad’s spray adhesive to attach fabric to the thin cardboard (the back of both sketchpads originally) I’d cut to be the front, back, and spine. More glue, some heavy fabric for binding stuff, some paint to personalize it, et voila, c’est fin.

All in all pretty exciting, and although I had to go back and reglue something, it’s not so bad. There are things I wish I did differently that I couldn’t have known without first making it. So if I decide to make another one at some point, well, I’ll actually know what to do.

I also learned that you can use a Prisma marker to blend Prisma color pencils. I just use a clear blender. While it doesn’t do a whole ton, it has a neat effect, as seen in the 2nd picture here. The first was watercolor pencils with the same blender marker. I blurred out the text because some of it is really personal, and other bits of it deal with the novel I’m attempting to write.

So yeah….. I made a sketchbook. A hand-bound sketchbook. With some Doctor Who stuff painted on.